Friday, May 6, 2011

Toekomstige tijd

taken from Nederlands in Uitvoering
Yesterday, Mandy told me: "I have no idea how to write [in the past tense], or the future tense, so I mostly just stick with the present for now".

The past tense in Dutch needs some more explanation, but the future tense is failry easy:



Just like in English, we use hulpwerkwoorden in Dutch. We have two types: "gaan" and "zullen".

The hulpwerkwoord "gaan" is for the near future. It is comparable to the English '(to be) going to...' .
- I am going to shop
- ik ga winkelen"

To talk about the not-so-near-future (meaning later this day, or in a gazillion years), use the hulpwerkwoord "zullen". Everywhere you would use the English verb "will", you can use "zullen".
- Next year I will break the world record!
- Volgend jaar zal ik het wereldrecord breken!".

Here is the conjugation of these hulpwerkwoorden:

gaanzullen
ikgazal
jijgaatzal
hij/zij/hetgaatzal
wijgaanzullen
julliegaanzullen
zijgaanzullen


Exercise:
Can you try to translate the following sentences:

When my son is going to drink tea, he will ask for sugar.

When will you mow the grass?

My brother will paint the shed in the yard.

What are you going to do?

She will be the next president!

4 comments:

  1. Wim, you are so helpful!!!

    If I want to say "I am going to go," would that be "Ik ga gaan?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-)

    Yes indeed, that is "ik ga gaan!".

    One curiosity maybe (I don't know if this is 'Flemish dialect' or 'correct Dutch') but even with "I am going to go shopping" I say "ik ga gaan winkelen"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid it's: Ik ga winkelen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, I probably let my Fleming dialect slip into that one :-)

    So: "I am going to go shopping" = "ik ga winkelen"

    ReplyDelete