Friday, March 11, 2011

Liedje van de dag: Daar gaat ze


Do you remember the previous song, België? "Het Goede Doel" was talking about considering to move to Belgium because "dat taaltje is zo zacht". As I am a Vlaming (a Fleming: a Dutch speaking Belgian) myself, I am very willing to introduce you to this "soft language", although I wouldn't call certain Flemish dialects "soft".

Although Wikipedia quotes Taalunieversum by stating that the "differences between Dutch and Flemish are significant enough that it is customary for Flemish television shows to be subtitled in Dutch, and vice versa", Flemish people and Dutch people read the same books and actually speak the same language. To me, it is like comparing British and American English. There are some sound differences, there are some words that are particulary "Flemish" or particulary "Dutch". Once somebody gets to know these differences (both pure vocabulary differences and differences in meaning of the same word), it is fairly easy.


When do I need subtitles? When dialects are spoken. My understanding is quite broad, I am familiar with the irregularities of most Dutch-speaking areas, but even if an inhabitant of the village next to my own hometown speaks too fast in his homebrewn jibberjabber, I will be lost. So no, it is not the difference between "Flemish" and "Dutch" that startles me, it is with dialects that I will have to ask somebody to say it twice, whether the person is from Ghent, Antwerp or Amsterdam: if it is not my own dialect, I will definitely be in trouble, even as a native speaker. But isn't that the same in your mother tongue as well?

More about the Flemish language:

There is a lot of music from Flanders, some in pure dialect, some in the "tussentaal", but also in standard Dutch (the real thing :-)).
As I was a child of the eighties, I heard a lot of the Flemish band Clouseau in my early teens as they scored several hits in both Belgium and The Netherlands.
Their music is easygoing, poppy and sung in Flemish without being dialectic, so this gives a good example of what is meant with our "soft language". "Daar gaat ze", "There she goes", is a slow love song and therefore a good start. The video shows the text as well, but there are mistakes in it, here you can find the correct lyrics:


Daar gaat ze.
En zoveel schoonheid heb ik nooit verdiend.
Daar staat ze.
En zoveel gratie heb ik nooit gezien.
Soms praat ze.
Terwijl ze slapend met m'n kussen speelt.
Ik laat ze.
Zolang ze maar met mij m`n lakens deelt.
En zelfs de hoeders van de wet.
Kijken minzaam als ze fout parkeert.
En zelfs de flikken hebben pret.
Als ze sensueel voorbij marcheert.
Ongegeneerd.

Ik weet wel.
Dat zij waarschijnlijk niet lang bij me blijft.
Ik weet wel.
Dat zij met anderen haar tijd verdrijft.
Zij heeft soms.
Geheimen waar ik liever niets van weet.
Zij zweeft soms.
En droomt zodat ze soms ook mij vergeet.

En zelfs de hoeders van de kerk.
Kijken minzaam op haar schoonheid neer.
De bisschop zegt: dit is Gods werk.
Buigt z`n grijze hoofd en dankt de Heer.
Nog eens een keer.
Dank u, meneer.

Zij heeft soms.
Geheimen waar ik liever niets van weet.
Zij zweeft soms.
En droomt zodat ze soms ook mij vergeet.
En zelfs de hoeders van dit land.
Zouden liever in m`n schoenen staan.

Ja, de premier dingt naar haar hand.
En biedt mij zijn portefeuille aan.
Maar ik denk er niet aan.
Loop naar de maan.
Daar gaat ze.
Daar gaat ze.


Assignment of the day: try to find an every day use of 'loop naar de maan'.

No comments:

Post a Comment